Monday, September 28, 2026

What Say You ...

 

Matthew 16:13-20 {scripture reading here}



It didn't take me very long to decide which question in scripture to look at next, because I think it is one of the most important questions that every single one of us has to answer at some point in our lives. The way WE answer this question determines so much ... how we respond to Christ, how we treat others, how we live.

A little backstory ... in Matthew, Jesus is having a conversation with His disciples and asks a couple of questions ... the first ... "Who do people say the Son of Man is?" Kind of like ... so, guys ... what's the word on the street? What are folks saying out there????!!!??? Almost like he's doing a vibe check ...

Well ... the folks are a'talking ... plenty. They have lots of opinions about who the real Son of God is ... maybe John the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah, or a few other of the Old Testament prophets. 

Interesting. 

I can almost imagine Jesus taking a beat & then hitting them with another question ...

"Who do YOU say I am?"

Shew ... that question! 

OK ... so, you've told me what others are saying ... now, let's hear what YOU have to say.

When we decide to follow Christ ... whether we are 5-years-old in Sunday School or 98-years-old on our deathbed repeating the sinner's prayer... we have to answer this same question. Who do you say Jesus is? 

What does He mean to you?

How are you going to let Him change the way you live?

It doesn't matter what everyone else is saying about Him ... what about YOU?!?! Who do you say He is?

I can tell you ... who Jesus is to me has changed a lot over the years ... 

As a child & teenager, He was a fire insurance policy. I knew I didn't want to burn in Hell & Jesus was the only way to avoid that! As a young 20-something, I discovered a whole new part of Jesus I never knew ... friend! I learned about a personal heart relationship with Him & it changed my life! As a 30-something trying to survive complete breakdown, He was my Healer & Comforter. Then as a mama in her 40's watching one of her children fight for her life, He was my Hope. Today ... He is still my friend, healer, comforter, hope, & most of all ... He is my Savior. 

I know as I go through future stages in my life He will become so much more to me!

So, back to Matthew ... Peter speaks up & moves straight to the head of the class! Peter says ... YOU are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.

BINGO! Right answer! And Jesus calls Peter blessed because only the Father in Heaven could have revealed that to him.

I hope you'll take some time over the next few days and think about who Jesus is to you ...



3 comments:

  1. This past week I have done just that … and HE has shown me exactly who HE is❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth spoken! It’s all about that personal relationship. ❤️

    ReplyDelete