I haven't always loved to read. I remember in high school dreading all of my required reading & then in college & grad school I felt like all I did was read. I couldn't wait to graduate & swear off reading for good.
Now that being a student is a very distant memory & my kids are older ... I feel like for the first time in my life I can really enjoy reading. Most of my reading is done in the carpool line. I find myself actually looking forward to sitting in carpool just so I can read.
Not all books are created equal ... Some books are just OK & then there are books that you finish, hug to your chest, & mourn the fact that you're done. The latter becomes a part of who I am and I want everybody I know to read them, too! When I think about this type of book, 2 immediately come to mind! They just so happen to be written by the same author ... Francine Rivers. If you've been around the pink couch for very long you've probably heard me gush about them before ... Anytime I'm asked for a book suggestion, these 2 are always the first I recommend.
Redeeming Love
THIS BOOK! Seriously, the best work of fiction I've ever read! I can not tell you enough how much I adore Redeeming Love. If you've read this book & didn't love it ... I would consider it a character flaw ... that's how much I love this book!
The book mirrors the story of Hosea & Gomer from the book of Hosea in the Bible (which also happens to be one of my favorites). The story is so full of grace, forgiveness, redemption, & restoration. It is such a beautiful love story. One review I read called the book "a life-changing story of God's unconditional, redemptive, all-consuming love" & I totally agree ... life-changing!
Read it! Read it! Read it!
Lineage of Grace
Lineage of Grace is compiled of 5 stories about 5 women in the lineage of Christ ... Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, & Mary. It takes each of these women's stories from the Bible & adds in details, conversations, other information that makes their stories really come alive. She puts such a unique perspective on all 5 of these women's lives & the circumstances they find themselves in that set them up to be part of the story of Christ.
It is such a unique book ... honestly, I've never read anything else quite like it. The book can be read in whole or each section could be read separately as a study on each woman. I am studying the Book of Ruth right now & I've actually gone back to Lineage of Grace to re-read Francine Rivers' account of Ruth's story. I plan on doing the same for the other 4 stories, as well.
(You can DOWNLOAD A DISCUSSION GUIDE HERE for each section of Lineage of Grace)
If you haven't read these 2 books ... what are you waiting for?!?!? Hurry up & get started. You can thank me later!



No comments:
Post a Comment