Tuesday, May 6, 2014

what i've been reading ...

When I finished graduate school I totally swore off reading. I didn't want to see a book. I didn't want to think about books. I didn't even want to hear Oprah talk about books. I had all of the reading of books I was interested in.  Well, that was more than a decade ago ... & I finally decided I had held my grudge against literacy for long enough.

When the New Year rolled around, I made a goal to read at least one book a month. It's the only resolution I've even remotely kept ... probably because it can be done sitting down! I've mentioned a few books here & there that I've been reading, but I thought I'd give you a run down of what I've read since January. It's quite an eclectic list ...


* The Devil in the Junior League
If you liked The Help you'll love this.  It's all about the politics of a Junior League in the South. It is hilarious!!!

* The Antelope in the Living Room
Written by Melanie Shankle from the Big Mama blog ... all about the give & take in marriage. Melanie is so funny & tells the best stories! The book is full of short stories that every married couple will identify with. You'll want to read it & read it again!

* The Book Thief
 A total departure from what I would usually read. First of all ... it has about 500 pages. I haven't read a book that long since Mrs. Foster made us read Atlas Shrugged in my 11th grade English class. The Book Thief is historical fiction & based in Germany during the Holocaust. I loved this book!  Also, a movie version of the book was released last year & it is just as good as the book!

* Reshaping It All
Candace Cameron Bure { aka ... DJ Tanner from Full House or Kirk Cameron's sister} writes all about how she adopted a healthier lifestyle ... which when I think about it now, is also a departure from what I would usually read! Honestly, I read it because she is on this season's Dancing With The Stars {I'm not even lying}. She includes great tips for healthier living & has some of her favorite recipes in the book, too.

* Hands Free Mama
OK ... if you feel like getting your toes stepped all over, read this book! It's not something any of us want to hear, but NEED to hear! Put down the cell phone, shut down the laptop, put aside the to-do list ... enjoy the people you are around! Such a good reminder. The book is 12 chapters & is meant to be read over the course of a year ... making small changes as you go. Great for busy mamas!

* The Fault in Our Stars
Disclaimer:  Read this with a box of Kleenex! This book wrecked me! About a group of teens battling cancer ... young love ... dreams coming true ... & the reality that some dreams are better left as dreams. The movie version of this book is coming out this Summer & I hope it's as good as the book!

* Ketchup is a Vegetable {& other lies mothers tell themselves}
This book was right up my alley! The hilarious, ugly truth about motherhood ... it ain't easy, y'all & most days we do whatever it takes to just make it to bedtime! Am I right?!? This is a book of stories ... easy read ... & you will laugh .... HARD! Loved this one!

* The Nesting Place
OK ... I have sung the praises of this book for the past week! IT. IS. GREAT! Every page is full of inspiration. Myquillyn Smith {also known as The Nester from www.thenester.com} is an extremely talented designer who takes everyday, imperfect items & turns them into the coziest spaces you'll ever lay eyes on! The pictures of her home in this book are incredible. I have poured over this book countless times since I bought it ... can't get enough of it!

* Family Devotions
And finally, & most importantly .... Josh McDowell's Family Devotions. This is a daily devotion for, you guessed it, families! Each day has a key point, verse, situational story, follow-up questions, & a prayer.  Great for families with older elementary school & middle school-aged kids.

And that's it! What I've been busy reading! Next on my list is a book my brother just gave me ... Wine To Water

I'd love to know what you guys are reading ... tell me your favs ...

2 comments:

  1. I'm also reading "Reshaping It All"(!)-really like it... and "AHA" by Kyle Idleman. My son is reading "Gods At War" by Kyle Idleman, both very good!

    ReplyDelete