There are so many reasons I love living in the South. This land is my land!
One of my favorite things about my small Southern town is the people. People here just care about one another ... especially when someone is hurting.
As soon as word gets out that one of your loved ones has passed, people show up to offer you comfort. When I say comfort, I mean in the form of food {is there any other} ... enough chicken & pastry to feed an army, chicken salad that took hours to make, coconut cake that stands a foot tall, chocolate pie that me & Daddy may or may not have fought over the last piece. This is the way my people say, "I love you, I am sorry for your loss, now sit down & let me get you a slice of cake, sugar!"
It is a gesture of southern love.
When someone takes the time to bake a cake, send a note, make a phone call, hug your neck ... just to let you know they are thinking about you & remind you that you are not alone in your time of loss. While it may seem like a small gesture ... it means a lot.

No comments:
Post a Comment