Thursday, February 6, 2014

don't be afraid to trust your instincts ...




I don't know anything about decorating rules .... not a thing! I just try something & if I like it, then it stays .... if I don't like it, then I try something else. I know it can be completely paralyzing to look at a room & not know where to start. Well, JUST START! What's the worst that could happen!?! You won't like the couch on the other side of the room .... well, then move it back!

When I get asked to help with decorating projects, about 90% of the time the person already knows what they want ... they just want someone to tell them it will look ok when it's all said & done. Trust your instincts & don't be afraid to go with your gut when you want to change up your décor.

I'm sure if an interior designer came through my front door, they'd see a long list of decorating rule violations ... but I like where things have landed in my home. Our house is well lived in & fits us like a glove.

One of the most liberating decorating choices I made was to get rid of our formal dining room. We are not formal dining room people ... at all!  It was wasted space. It looked pretty, but it had only been used 2 or 3 times in 6 years.  It was a dining room because that was what it was supposed to be ... not what we needed it to be. A couple of  years ago ... we took the leaves out of the dining room table, changed out the hanging chandelier, moved in my little pink couch, a bookcase, & a set of lockers.


 


 
Now we use the fool out of that space.

Guess what .... I haven't missed that dining room one bit!

Don't be afraid to try what you've been dying to do ... move that chair, paint a wall, buy new throw pillows. JUST TRY SOMETHING! Live with it for awhile ... like it? leave it! hate it? change it again! It's not life or death ... It's just decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment