Thursday, January 16, 2014

walking the aisle ....

Mama posted a sweet little article on Facebook a few days ago about how to train your child to sit quietly through church. The author suggested having your child spend time at home sitting quiet & still while listening to stories on audio & other quiet activities of the sort. That way, they were accustomed to it... more than just once or twice a week for church. Well, I responded to Mama's post with this comment.... "these are not the methods I remember you using to get me to sit quietly in church."

Mama had a zero tolerance policy for tom foolery in church. Her approach only took once to learn. If me or my 3 older brothers acted up in church we took a long walk with Mama .... down the aisle, out the door, through the foyer, & out to the front yard where there were 2 bushes that had plenty of "switches" ... that I am almost sure the church board had planted for the sole purpose of  teaching children how to sit quietly in church. After that initial walk, all it took for me to sit still was for Mama to look at me out of the corner of her blue eyes & purse her lips. Done!

Now, my mama wasn't the only one that employed this approach. Lots of my little church friends were educated by walking the aisle in the opposite direction of the altar .... & I think we are all probably better for it.

I think the article Mama posted is wonderful advice & probably a kinder, gentler, more PC approach. However, I can also tell you that there wasn't a doubt in my mind how I was expected to behave while I was attending church. And, I'm pretty sure Mama's approach did a lot for the prayer life of me & my little friends. We all knew when one of us took that walk what was waiting on the other side of those doors ... & I'm sure we all whispered a little prayer for one another as one of us was being ushered out.





1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHA I LOVE YOU, Emma! I completely concur. All my momma had to do was give me, "The Look." If, by some strange occurrence I missed seeing the look, all it took was a teeny, tiny pinch of skin on the underside of my arm...ya know, the tender meat! I did NOT want that done again, so I learned really quick.

    ReplyDelete