My husband is a saint & my fear of flying seems to be not quite as bad after spending all day in the car ... twice in 4 days. Bestie & her husband met us there & it took them 1 hour ... clearly they flew & have much better sense than I do.
We planned the trip months ago when one of our dearest & best friends asked us to come & help him with a wedding. We love him, we love Nashville, we love weddings ... no brainer!
Bestie's other half has family in Nashville, so we stayed with them. Let me tell you something, they entertained us thoroughly! I could've sat in their living room all weekend & listened to them tell all sorts of Nashville stories & been happy as a clam! They are a sight & I loooooved getting to spend time with them. Seriously, they need their own reality show!
Thought I'd share a few things Nashville taught me:
* Being allergic to crazy in an actual condition ...
Saturday night we had dinner at Puckett's Grocery in Franklin & watched Don Schlitz perform. You may not recognize his name, but you would definitely recognize some of the hundreds of country hits he's written .... The Gambler, On the Other Hand, I'm Gonna Love You Forever, When You Say Nothing At All, I Feel Lucky ... to name a few! He performed a few of his newer songs & my favorites were I'm Allergic to Crazy, So You Gotta Go & Tattoo Redo.
{don Schlitz - allergic to crazy}
He also sang another song he wrote for Kenny Rogers & Dolly (I DIE) .... Old Friends. Bestie & I were an emotional wreck by the end ... tears & hugs ensued!
* Don't eat Shrimp & Grits at the Richland Country Club ...
Our first night in Nashville, Pappy's cousins took us to their country club for dinner. I don't care where I go, if Shrimp & Grits is on the menu .... that's what I order ... the Richland has remedied that particular condition. There is this thing called the Scoville scale that measures the spiciness of food. I am no scientist, but the Richland's Shrimp & Grits would rate up there with a habanero chili sprayed with law enforcement grade pepper spray & then lit on fire. Now, I tried to power through. I ate what I could & gulped down water & Diet Coke like I was walking through the Sahara. However, I am sorry to report, that my night at the Richland ended with me in stall #2 of the ladies restroom throwing up ..... keepin' it classy at the country club, y'all! Bless!
* I have a southern accent ...
OK, I knew this. I hear myself talk all day long. But when someone from Nashville tells you they love your accent, it makes you realize how much of an accent you really have. I ordered dinner at a restaurant & the sweet little waitress giggled, asked where I was from & then told me she looooved my accent. It was like that time on Friends when Janice told Ross he was too whiney ... pot, meet the kettle!
* I love a man named Wilson ...
Our most gracious hosts have a dog named Wilson & I fell in love with him! Here's the thing about Wilson ... he doesn't know he's a dog. He thinks he is totally human. I'm not a sucker for animals ... I know, character flaw... whatever! BUT Wilson won me over & I fell for him!
Super fun weekend!!!! Nashville was gooooood to us!

Sounds like good times were had by all!
ReplyDelete