Well, let me just tell you .... it only took 1 text message & 1 phone call to find a deer heart "supplier". Apparently there is some sort of underground black market for these extra credit deer hearts. Now, in full disclosure, we did not have to pay for this poor deer's heart {God rest his soul}, I happen to have a relative who saves the hearts of deer he hunts for this very reason. He just passes out extra credit deer hearts so sweet little middle schoolers can get good science grades. Which I am almost sure is kind-of like a ministry, because only the good Lord above could call you to do such a thing. And I must say ... truly, easy access to deer hearts is one of the perks of living below the Mason-Dixon line.
Now the strange thing is {as if this whole thing isn't strange enough}, the very next day I was riding down the road & noticed some highway workers had pulled over to scoop up a deer that had been hit by a car & met its untimely death right there by the side of the road. For about 3 entire seconds I considered pulling over & asking those highway workers if I could have that deer's heart .... I KID YOU NOT! Then a few things occurred to me: #1 they would probably think I was just a tad bit crazy, #2 they were probably not equipped to excavate a deer heart right then & there, & #3 there is probably some sort of highway worker rule that frowns upon that sort of thing. So, I decided to just keep on driving.
Anyway, with a deer heart located I am still faced with several questions that I never imagined I would be asking myself .... How does one store a deer heart? .... What exactly is the proper way to transport the heart to school? .... Do I need to get one of those small igloo coolers you see doctors in the movies use when they do organ transplants? ... Is a Ziploc bag sufficient? ... I mean, is this sort of thing on the Google???
#southernmamaproblems,y'all!

Ziplock bags work fine and just throw it in the freezer. They will be f frozen for a little while once they get them to the school before the heart lab. He could algal bring in a bear heart if he wanted :) I took in numerous of both when I was at that school! NMS
ReplyDeleteNat ... thank goodness there is a vet in the family! I knew all those years on the island wouldn't be wasted!
Delete