Tuesday, April 30, 2013

ceiling fans .... the great debate

 
there is a great debate going
on all over America ...
ok, well, not really,
but to people like me
these are the things that are important.
& i feel i MUST take a stand...
 
in the decorating world there
seems to be a huge aversion to ceiling fans.
i know, it's shocking ... a travesty!
& i have to say that whoever
decided that ceiling fans are unacceptable
must live in Minnesota or Wisconsin
or some other tundra state of our great Union.
 
i just finished Beth Moore's bible study Breaking Free
& i would like to free everyone that lives
south of the Mason Dixon Line
from the "ceiling fans are horrible" decorating rule!!!
(although, i am sure this is a huge misuse of my breaking freeness)
 
people, it gets HOT in the south!
the humidity alone can smother you!
we need our air circulated, do we not!?!?!
 
i feel this sums it up best .....
 
 
so, southern women unite!
let us embrace the ceiling fan!
may our air be circulated without fear of stigma!
 
amen? amen!
 
 
 {today i'm linking up with sweet edie at life in grace ...}
 


16 comments:

  1. LOVE it. Although I was sure that ceiling fans were dead to me, I have 6 on my outside porches. Long live the South and love live the ceiling fan!!
    Thanks for linking:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally laughed aloud while reading this post. My ceiling fans are ugly, yes. But our old farmhouse does not have air conditioning and they are definitely a necessity. Long live the ceiling fan! Love, a northern hot mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer ... love that the north & south can be united in our love for ceiling fans!!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, no ceiling fans??!!?? Thats a strange concept. We have ceiling fans in every room. It gets very hot and humid here too. There are some very stylish fans on the market these days, stainless steel, very cute 'pop out' varieties which we have in our living room etc etc. - Naomi Cramb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi ... it is strange!!! love that there are so many to pick from now ....

      Delete
  4. oh emma - this northerner longs for a ceiling fan when i come into the old farmhouse after a long night of farm chores. it's not just southern air that needs circulatin'. time to cool off and liberate ourselves from wrongful decorating theology - even in parts that might be considered the tundra!
    first time visitor thanks to edie's link up.
    nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. laura .... so glad you stopped by!!! hope you visit again!!! I enjoyed reading your blog! & yes, glad we can free ourselves from wrongful decorating theology!!!

      Delete
  5. Love this! I am all about the ceilings fan AND a stylish room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, this is so true! I am in the desert in California, and it gets HOT here. A ceiling fan is necessary. I actually went ahead and gave up the one in my bedroom (for a chandelier!), but I am on the look out for a vintage inspired standing fan to take its place.
    (Stopping by from Life in Grace!)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you stopped by, lori!!! love the idea of a vintage fan .... target has some vintage smaller fans by hunter ... they are super cute!

      Delete
  7. There's hate against ceiling fans? How? What? Why? I love my ceiling fan. It circulates air really well and I need that because I have a huge room with high ceilings. It's probably a big plus that mine is combined with a lighting fixture so I get to have my chandelier too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, staci .... it's hard to believe!!!! glad you share in my ceiling fan love!

      Delete
  8. This is old but anyway. I moved from Louisiana to Seattle and it's been a shock to my system. They seem to love still stuffy air. People here think they don't need air conditioning. When I moved into my husband's house 18 months ago he had zero fans. Now we have 2 ceilings fans, 4 window fans and a floor fan. We need a ceiling fan for the bedroom but this 1940 plaster and lathe house doesn't want to cooperate. He says I have been a tornado in his life, on several levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nancy .... so glad to hear you are spreading the ceiling fan love to the northwest! circulate on, sister!

      Delete