Monday, September 21, 2026

The Beginning is a Very Good Place to Start ...

Genesis 3:1-10 {scripture reading is linked here}



I believe it was the great philosopher Julie Andrews that once said {well, sang} ... the beginning is "a very good place to start." So, I am taking her great life advice & starting in Genesis 3 ... where the first few questions in the Bible are recorded. However, I am sorry to report the 1st question asked in the Bible is asked by Satan, because of course it is {eyeroll}! Isn't it just like him to make you question things?!?!?! According to your translation, he basically asked Eve, "Did God really tell you that?" ... & if you know the rest of the story, you know how things took a MAJOR turn in the Garden of Eden after that. He made her second think the one very important thing God had told her & Adam NOT to do. What a jerk! & y'all ... he is still at it today! He will lean in close & whisper that question to us to make us doubt all of the things we KNOW are true about ourselves and God! Don't fall for his foolishness ... 

On to the next couple of questions that are just a few verses away ...

Genesis 3:8 ... by this time ... Eve had listened to Satan ... took a big bite of the forbidden fruit & convinced Adam to do the same. That disobedience brought about instant separation from God. They felt immediate shame ... whipped up a couple of fig leaf couture outfits ... & tried to hide from God. One thing I know ... there is no hiding from God {especially when there are only 2 of you on the entire planet}. Psalm 139 says, "Where can I go from your Spirit?" Answer: nowhere! BUT God asked them ... "Where are you?" Now, God knew exactly where they were ... He is all knowing, remember? So, why did He ask? I think He wanted Adam & Eve to know that their actions had consequences ... what they had done had brought separation between them & God. {spoiler alert: that still happens today} After they took a bite of that fruit, they both experienced something neither had before ... shame & guilt. Sin brings both of those things still.

But isn't God so precious that He knew what they had done, but He sought them out anyway? They hid ... He started a conversation with them by asking a question. He didn't start by throwing accusations at them ... He asked a question. He wanted to hear their side of the story. What a sweet gift. May we find the compassion to do the same for others ...

I had planned on tacking the next 2 questions in this same chapter today, but y'all ... there is a whole lotta finger pointing that goes on at the end of Genesis 3 & I feel like we need an entirely new post to cover all of that drama!

There is a comment section below ... PLEASE tell me what jumped out to you about Genesis 3, so far! I would LOVE to know your thoughts & insights from today's reading!!!

Until next time ...



No comments:

Post a Comment