Friday, August 2, 2013

mama, the depression, & her pantry ....

on fridays i usually do a
"favorite things friday" post,
but something happened yesterday that was
too good not to share.
 
i was over at mama's & she lured asked me
to organize her pantry while i was there.
now, don't get me wrong, there are few
things i love more than an
organizing project ...
but i was afraid her pantry project
might exceed the limitations of my medication.
however, when your mama asks for help... you help.
 
i did leave word on facebook before i got started
that if i happened to go missing to please
look for me under the big pile of Tupperware in mama's pantry.
{you know, for precautionary measures}
 
i began by asking mama several questions like ...
"why did you keep this?"
or
"how many of these does 1 person need?"
& then she informed me that 
i had not grown up during the Depression like she did,
& that she didn't just throw things away like i did.
so, i figured i better just keep my questions to myself... so i did.
 
after awhile of clearing shelves, sorting, & tossing,
i was able to help mama part ways with a plethora of
plastic food containers using negotiation skills
i learned watching episodes of "hoarders"
{i knew all those hours watching wouldn't be wasted}.
 
& we also decided if ever
the world suffers a paper bag shortage ...
people could just line up at mama's front door
& she could share her bags with all God's children.
 
& y"all, i just know that sometime next week
i'll have need for something
i MADE mama get rid of...
& she'll remind me why i shouldn't throw things away!
 


7 comments:

  1. LOL! I check my parent's refrigerator when I'm there sometimes and wonder how they haven't ended up hospitalized from food poisoning from eating expired stuff. I figure if I toss out one thing at a time, maybe they won't notice. :)

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, I LOVE reading your posts! You are a hoot and have a gift for writing! Love you girl! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are describing about 5 million interactions between my mom and myself! I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emma,
    My mom is 101 years old. I was at her house the other day and I wanted to clean out her closet. She had clothes that were old and no longer fitted. So, I was busily laying all the clothes in different piles, ( Goodwill, Trash and etc.) I think it hit her that I was really going to get rid of her stuff, so she spoke up and said, "Why don't you just wait and you can take all of them to the Goodwill at one time!" Needless to say, I was floored.

    ReplyDelete